A client sends me a marketing text for translation and a PDF source file as a reference. After I finish the translation, I check the reference file once more and see a few passages that I haven’t seen before. I mark everything that wasn’t imported and then call my client. We decide that I will translate the missing parts that same evening, as the translation has to be ready for the following morning.
A client wants his e-commerce website to be translated from English into German. Unfortunately the English is a bit cryptic, and it turns out to be a translation from French. I get back to the client and they send me the French original so that I can compare the English text with the French when in doubt. I complete the translation into German and additionally compile a list of translation errors in the English text.
An international client in the fashion industry asks me to translate clothing labels and advertising texts for fashion articles to be imported to Germany. One of the products is called a “body bag”, meant for a bag that is worn across the body. I inform the client that this term is likely to cause quite a stir even in English and even more so if I were to translate its true meaning into German.
A client asks me to revise a Japanese > German translation, an excel file with two worksheets containing lists of terms. Unfortunately, the translator has only translated one of the two worksheets. After a quick check, I get the impression that the lists in both worksheets might be identical. I find a tool to automatically compare data in Excel spreadsheets and yes, the two worksheets are identical and only need to be translated once. I proofread the translation and copy it into the identical second worksheet.